The Problem of Bible Illiteracy
Bible illiteracy is widespread in the American church. Statistics and experience show that a high percentage of American Christians don’t read the whole Bible, and when they do, they don’t read it effectively. More of the same teaching won’t fix the problem.
The Goal to Restore
We need to retrieve and restore deep Bible engagement that aims at literacy and fluency.
What are Bible literacy and fluency? Read.
This movement seeks:
- To overcome many American Christians’ ill-founded belief that they know the Bible, or that they don’t need to know it.
- To help guide them into better Bible-reading habits that will reliably form them as God’s people.
- To strengthen their trust in the Bible and show them that anyone can read and live it well.
We are a coalition of complementary organizations that seek to promote Bible literacy through a concerted effort, including:
- Preparation: Annual consortium conference for presenting and sharing best practices, building relationships, and tackling Bible literacy in coordinated movement
- Raising awareness: Co-written articles, PSAs, campaigns, church connections, events, etc.
- Literacy and fluency education: Co-produced/sponsored educational materials, campaigns, talks, courses, books, etc. (including the coordinated promotion of existing resources)